In the world of the Myers-Briggs, Thinking and Feeling are about how you make decisions.
Of course, we all think and feel, but Myers-Briggs’ use of these terms is distinct from everyday usage.
In a nutshell: Thinking types tend to focus on making logical decisions while Feeling types decide using personal, subjective criteria.
Do you know which you’re wired for?
If your preference is Thinking
You look at the logical consequences of a choice or action when making a decision. You’re analytical and use cause-and-effect reasoning. You’re able to mentally remove yourself from the situation so you can examine the pros and cons objectively. Wanting a logical outcome, you decide with your head.
If your preference is Feeling.
You like to consider what is important to you and to others involved. You’re empathetic and guided by personal and community values. You’re able to mentally place yourself in the situation so you can identify with everyone involved and make a decision based on your values and the impact of the decision on others. Wanting a harmonious outcome, you decide with your heart.
Know this: Whatever your type, you can flex and function on the other side, but it’s not your natural home base.
Keep in mind both preferences are rational processes. The key is which you go to first when it’s time to make a decision: logic (Thinking) or empathy (Feeling).
Think about a key decision you’ve made recently. How did you naturally approach the decision-making process?
- Did you use logic and analysis first (Thinking)? Or was your instinct to be guided by personal values (Feeling)?
- Did you focus on impartiality and objectivity (Thinking)? Or empathy and harmony (Feeling)?
- Was your decision-making process impersonal (Thinking) or person-centered (Feeling).
Thinking-Feeling is one of four dichotomies revealed by the Myers-Briggs personality assessment. Which do you prefer?
Check out these posts to read about the other Myers-Briggs preference pairs:
- What’s your type: Extraversion or Introversion?
- What’s your type: Sensing or Intuition?
- What’s your type: Judging or Perceiving?