I want to talk about something that at first glance can appear to be stuckness, but is really something different.
Recently I was coaching with a client who made the distinction—and it’s such a brilliant one—between being stuck versus being suspended.
These two states—stuck vs. suspended—have a very different energy and usually a different cause. And while neither is great to be in, I think being suspended, in some ways, can be even more insidious than being stuck.
That’s because when you say, I’m stuck, you know you are not manifesting what you want. It’s obvious to you.
But sometimes when what you want isn’t manifesting, it is because you’re suspended—and you don’t even realize it. Being suspended is sneaky because it obscures what’s really causing your manifesting trouble.
So let me tell you more about what I mean by being suspended.
Being suspended is about offering a chronic vibration that is somewhere in the middle of the emotional scale. Chronic as in persistent or long-standing.
When your go-to emotions are in the middle of the emotional scale, you are what I’m calling “suspended”. You are suspended, caught, hanging out in the middle of the scale.
The emotional scale is a list of emotions numbered from 1 to 22.
At the top of the emotional scale are high vibe emotions that feel good and at the bottom of the scale are low vibe emotions that feel bad. Love and appreciation are at the top and fear and powerlessness are at the bottom.
Being suspended is about regularly hanging out in the middle of the emotional scale.
In other words, being suspended is about regularly thinking thoughts that cause you to feel emotions like pessimism, frustration, irritation, impatience, overwhelment, disappointment, doubt, and worry.
If those emotions—or ones of a similar energetic frequency—are your go-to emotions, then you are likely suspended.
Here are four reasons you don’t want to be suspended in the middle of the emotional scale.
- First, these emotions don’t feel good. That might seem like I’m stating the obvious, but in the land of Law of Attraction, nothing is more important than feeling good. Because feeling good, well, it feels good! As Abraham says: “Feel good for the sake of feeling good and everything else will take care of itself.”
- Second, these emotions are self-perpetuating. Like attracts like. When you feel frustration and irritation, doubt and worry, you attract more thoughts that cause you to feel similar emotions. You dig an emotional groove that keeps you suspended. If you frequently feel these gunky middle emotions, you just keep attracting more thoughts and feelings that match up.
- Third, these emotions can easily become the backdrop of your life. You get used to feeling them. You may be so used to experiencing these emotions that this is where you live emotionally and energetically. You may even think: This is life. This is the way it is. You don’t recognize this low grade friction in your vibration all the time is what’s slowing down or stopping altogether your ability to manifest what you want.
- Fourth, you are, of course, attracting from this suspended state. You are manifesting from your chronic vibration of suspended emotions in the middle of the emotional scale. Think about what you manifest when you are suspended. Think about what you are unable to manifest when you are suspended.
I just shared four reasons you don’t want to be suspended: These emotions don’t feel good, they are self-perpetuating and can easily become the norm in your life, and these emotions most definitely gunk up manifesting with ease.
“By always reaching for the feeling of joy, or well-being, you would always be moving toward that which you desire.” —Abraham
When you are suspended on the middle of the emotional scale, you are not moving toward that which you desire.
While these middle of the scale emotions may feel less lousy than ones further down like anger or fear or grief, don’t make the mistake of thinking they are good for manifesting. Or perhaps I should say, don’t make the mistake of thinking they won’t get in the way of you being able to manifest what you want.
Are you suspended?
Are you suspended in the emotions of pessimism, frustration, irritation, impatience, overwhelment, disappointment, doubt, and worry?
- You want to release yourself from this suspended state, from the energy of these emotions.
- You want to release yourself from what these emotions are attracting and creating.
- You want to release yourself from what these emotions are blocking you from manifesting.
“Give your undivided attention to your job of feeling good.” —Abraham
One of the real issues with being suspended is you don’t feel bad enough to raise your vibration, and yet you don’t feel good enough to manifest what you want.
You truly are suspended in the middle of that emotional scale. And believe me, you are meant for more.
“Your life is supposed to feel good to you.” —Abraham
The solution to being suspended is to break free of the emotions in the middle of the emotional scale.
The solution to being suspended is to feel better by reaching for thoughts that allow you to feel better.
I so like that Abraham’s advice to feeling better always includes stating the desire to feel good. To actually claim it. There is power in saying the words, I want to feel good.
“As you say, over and over again, ‘I want to feel good,’ your Inner Being will whisper in your ear, ‘Go here. Go there. Look at this book. Throw this mail away. Watch this television program, don’t watch that one. Listen to this song, don’t listen to this song.’ Your Inner Being will guide you step by step, segment by segment, moment by moment if you will tap into the Universe with this important key: ‘The only thing that matters is that I feel good.’” —Abraham
If you are suspended, I encourage you to say, to embrace, to claim, I want to feel good.
Now I don’t mean you should never feel frustration or doubt or disappointment. You’re a human being. Of course you will experience these emotions.
I don’t aspire to never feel these middle of the scale emotions. But I definitely do aspire not to hang out in the middle of the emotional scale. I don’t want to live my life through the energy of that continual low-grade friction. I don’t want to be suspended.
Instead, I want to elevate my energy as often as I can and as much as I can.
“Always, when you feel good, you are in the place of attracting that which you are wanting.” —Abraham